After a day of playing in the snow, beef stew hits the spot! Stew is a comfort food for me and takes me back to snow-mobiling and sledding, back home in MI.
Heart beef stew
- 1 LB stew meat
- 1 C flour seasoned with 1 tsp salt & pepper, placed in a zip lock bag. I also use 1/2 tsp ground sage and oregano and a pinch of red pepper flakes, but you can omit these.
- 2 large potatoes peeled & diced
- 1 C diced carrot (I keep baby carrots in the fridge always, they are already peeled and I eat them as snacks; so do my fur babies)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 C corn
- 1 C green beans
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 C wine, you can use white or red. I use what ever wine I happen to have open
- 15 oz stewed tomatoes, ran through the food processor
- 32 oz beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat, shake cubed meat in seasoned flour and brown in batches. Once all your meat is browned, sauté garlic, celery & mushroom until soft. Add wine to your pan to deglaze, making sure to scrape all the bits off the bottom. Add remaining ingredients except potatoes; bring to a simmer and let it work for 1.5 hrs then add potatoes. Taste and season with additional salt/pepper if needed. Simmer another 30-45 mins until all veggies are soft. Remove bay leaf prior to serving.